*Revised reading schedule...see below
Marie and I have been wanting to read this famous historical novel by Kathleen Winsor for years and when Marie mentioned that she was finally going to read it this year, I told her I would join her. And so, the read-a-long was born!
About the book (from Goodreads):
Abandoned pregnant and penniless on the teeming streets of London, 16-year-old Amber St. Clare manages, by using her wits, beauty, and courage, to climb to the highest position a woman could achieve in Restoration England—that of favorite mistress of the Merry Monarch, Charles II. From whores and highwaymen to courtiers and noblemen, from events such as the Great Plague and the Fire of London to the intimate passions of ordinary—and extraordinary—men and women, Amber experiences it all. But throughout her trials and escapades, she remains, in her heart, true to the one man she really loves, the one man she can never have. Frequently compared to Gone with the Wind, Forever Amber is the other great historical romance, outselling every other American novel of the 1940s—despite being banned in Boston for its sheer sexiness. A book to read and reread, this edition brings back to print an unforgettable romance and a timeless masterpiece.
Dates: Sunday, March 18, 2012 - Saturday, April 14, 2012
- Start reading on Sundays, discussion post will be posted on Saturdays.
- You can do a post and leave your link in the comments, or you can just post your thoughts in the comments of the week's discussion post.
- The last week, April 8 -14, will be for catch-up readers and final thoughts.
*Reading schedule has been slightly revised. I didn't realize that the book had parts, which would probably make for more natural breaks in the reading. If you have read a bit ahead of the new stopping points because of the previous schedule, don't worry. It's only a couple chapters difference. I hope you will forgive me the mishap. ~Michelle
- Week One (March 18 - 24)--Prologue through Part III, which starts at Ch. 22 (stop reading at end of Ch. 21)
- Week Two (March 25 - 31)--Part III through Part V, which starts at Ch. 46 (stop reading at end of Ch. 45)
- Week Three (April 1 - 7)--Part V through Chapter 69 (end)
- Week Four (April 8 - 14)--A week for catch-up and final thoughts
If you would like to join us, please leave a comment below. We certainly would love to have you with us in the reading of this classic historical novel.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments or email us at email@example.com.