September 20, 2012

ANNOUNCING THE NEXT READ ALONG WITH DETAILS!

Here Be Dragons (Welsh Princes #1) by Sharon Kay Penman is the winner of our poll for the next read along!


Thirteenth-century Wales is a divided country, ever at the mercy of England's ruthless, power-hungry King John. Then Llewelyn, Prince of North Wales, secures an uneasy truce with England by marrying the English king's beloved, illegitimate daughter, Joanna. Reluctant to wed her father's bitter enemy, Joanna slowly grows to love her charismatic and courageous husband who dreams of uniting Wales. But as John's attentions turn again and again to subduing Wales--and Llewelyn--Joanna must decide to which of these powerful men she owes her loyalty and love.


A sweeping novel of power and passion, loyalty and lives, this is the book that began the trilogy that includes FALLS THE SHADOW and THE RECKONING.  
Visit Sharon Kay Penman's site for a more detailed description here.

Based on the all the fabulous reviews on Goodreads, this is going to be an exciting historical read, and I hope you will join us! First published in 1985, some of you may have read it, and we still welcome you during our discussion posts here at HF-Connection later in October, and maybe even you'll be eager for a re-read?   This is a chunky book at around 700 pages, so it will take a little longer for some of us, but I was hoping for around two weeks, which is an average of 50 pages every day. But a fellow read along participant suggested stretching it to three weeks in case things come up for some of us.

There are no clear divisions in the text such as 'Parts' so I am just going by Chapter count.

The tentative schedule:
10/13/2012 START YOUR ENGINES!! Be sure to have your copy by this date, so you can start reading.
10/19/2012 Friday: First Discussion post goes up. Try to read up to around Chapter 17, which is page 212 in my edition (shown above).
10/26/2012 Friday: Second Discussion post goes up. Try to read up to around Chapter 37, which is page 453 in my edition.
11/2/2012 Friday: Final Discussion post goes up. This last third of the book will have a few more pages, but perhaps we'll all be racing to the finish and be able to finish about the same time here.

The posts will go up as scheduled, and if you have to catch up and come back later to the post to comment that is fine. There are no rules, but of course we would like to maintain a conversation online about the chapters we hopefully all have just read! And those who have read the book can read again, or comment along, just taking care to not spoil the parts we have not gotten to. Spoilers for what we are scheduled to have read are allowed of course.

I will make another post closer to the Read Along, just to double check who will be reading along and as a reminder to everyone. At this point, you should order your copy of Here Be Dragons so you can participate! Who's on board?

8 comments:

  1. I have wanted to read this for a long time, I am going to try to get a copy from the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you were able to find yourself a copy so that you can join us! The read along starts Saturday the 13th if you want to stay on schedule!

      Delete
  2. Of course, I'm in! Finally, will have a Penman under my belt. Thanks for waiting until mid-October, Marie. Right now, I feel like the Exorcist with my head spinning around on my neck. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...the header. I promise I'll get it done this weekend!

      Delete
  3. I've read this one recently but would love to see your discussions. I'll be along for your comments and reactions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I love, love, love this book! Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in! Just got a copy -- can't wait to chat about it with everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Share your thoughts!